Victor Emmanuel III Bridge
The bridge that connects Calolziocorte to Olginate was unveiled in 1911. Due to its faulty structure, in the1920s some major maintenance works were carried out in order to improve its stability. The top of the bridge was completely torn down, leaving only the pillars standing in the water. The metal structure that still now serves as a connection between the two banks of the river was installed on these same pillars.
Before the bridge reached its current form, the only way to cross the river was through ferries and pontoon bridges. It is important to remember that the river Adda was once considered the border between the Venetian and the Milanese territory.
When the river is low, we can still see the few remains of an ancient Roman bridge that dates back to the 3rd-4th century. This ford must have been located on an important road linking Bergamo to Como.
Between the bridge and the dam, in a private garden in Olginate, there is still a massive construction. For a long time, it was believed that it was part of the ancient Roman bridge, but this hypothesis seems to be highly unlikely, as these remains and the ones under water are not aligned. More likely, the site was probably a late medieval fortification of the Sforza family, modified over the centuries.
FIND OUT MORE
- RIVA G., ALDEGHI G., Il ponte romano sull'Adda tra Olginate e Calolzio, in Archivi di Lecco e della Provincia, anno XXVIII, n. 4, Lecco 2005, pp. 6 sgg.
- BORGHI A., Lecco romana da Cesare a Teodorico, Banca Popolare di Lecco, Lecco 1977