Paths and small villages in Val d'Erve

Apart from Nesolio and the chapel dedicated to our Lady of the Assumption in Corno, Val d'Erve is full of many more small villages and picturesque areas located on the mountainside that frames the valley created by the Gallavesa stream

Small village of Costalottiere

Small village of Costalottiere

Costalottiere is located on the “costa”, which is the southern side of Monte Pizzo and its name is a sort of toponym, probably deriving from a patronymic (Costalottiere or Costa di Lotario). This small village offers a spectacular view on the valley that sweeps over to the Adda river, in Valle San Martino, on to the Po valley and even reaches the Apennine mountains. Among its houses, we can often find some fascinating views and some examples of the artistic heritage of the area. A fresco stands particularly out, that dates back to 1882, by Antonio Sibella (1844-1901), a painter from Rota Fuori who worked in Lecco and Bergamo and left many proofs of his artistic flair with numerous religious subjects.

The small village of Saina and Vicereola

The small village of Saina (from latin sabina, a kind of juniper, or sagina, feasting, nourishment) is one of the most characteristic villages in Val d’Erve. Time seems to have stopped between these old buildings. In the past, the other old mule track from the Rocca di Somasca into Val d’Erve used to pass from Saina and even before that, from the panoramic hill of Vicereola (easily recognizable thanks to its big cross). The paved path used to run over the border between the Duchy of Milan and the Republic of Venice. It was often the site of frequent disputes regarding the exploitation of the woods located on the Pizzo di Viccirola (now known as Monte Mudarga), until 1621 when a rich wanderer from Verona was killed and the body of a poor labourer from Vercurago was left there for several days as a consequence of these legal disputes. At the time, it was impossible to determine who would have the ungrateful task of inspecting the dead bodies.

Torre

Even the village of Torre is one of the original centres in the area of Erve and still today it is one of the most characteristic villages. During some excavations carried out on site in 1980, some large square blocks were found belonging, no doubt, to the foundations of a massive tower that was probably built to control and defend the entrance to the valley. The village is definitely named after this tower (Torre means in fact tower). According to other sources, the position of Torre was placed above the current location of the inhabited centre, which would confirm the presence of a lake in the lowest part of the valley. Some geological evidence also confirms this. In time, the waters must have broken through the southern bank of the lake, flowing into the Gallavesa and freeing the area on which the current village of Erve was built.

Gnètt

Gnètt is located in a pleasant spot where the valley of Gallavesa starts gaining height and where all the main climbing routes towards Monte Resegone start out. This nice meadow, often filled with grazing herds and refreshed by the water of the stream, was right on the border between the Duchy of Milan and the Republic of Venice, as demonstrated by the numerous boundary stones. For at least three centuries, there were disputes and clashes between the inhabitants of Erve and the farmers on the other side of the Magnodeno (at the time part of the Duchy of Milan) for the control of the pasturelands. Quite often, the livestock was stolen and there were episodes of looting. Still today, the Gallavesa stream marks the border between Erve and Lecco and until 1992 it was also the border that divided the province of Bergamo from the province of Como.

This website uses own cookies and from third party. If you want to know more or opt out of all or some cookies click here.