This place (in dialect corna means rock and corem, masculine, means horn-shaped rock overhang) is located on the ridge of Sopracorna on the Monte Spedone and it is easy to recognize thanks to its white chapel dedicated to our Lady of the Assumption that can be seen even from far away. It is definitely one of the most significant chapels in the entire territory of Erve. The medieval mule track coming from Rossino passes also through Corno. Together with the other less frequented route of Vicereola, on the other side of the valley, this mule track was for centuries the only way that connected Erve to the rest of the valley. This mule track was restored in 2015, but it was still being used until the first decade of the 20th century, when the construction of the road that now connects Erve to the rest of the world was finally complete.
This track was excavated in the rock on the side of Sopracorna and offers still today a “shivering” view in the deep gorge of the Galavesa stream, a dark and narrow canyon, 150 meter deep, in which the stream flows creating wonderful waterfalls. Designed by Egidio Palvis, a famous civil engineer, the road cost 200.000 lire, a significant amount for that time. The construction works lasted eight years and cost the lives of five miner. The 3rd September 1911 the new road was finally opened and it was surfaced in 1956.
The place has always been known for its beauty and its views: at the end of the 19th century, the historian Giovanni Pozzi, in the text Guida alle Prealpi di Lecco (1883) wrote about it, saying: «Many painters went up there in search of inspiration for their compositions.»
FIND OUT MORE
- ROTA L., Carta dei senteri Val d'Erve, giugno 2015
- GUGLIELMI E., GIASSI G. (a cura di), Valderve: immagini di una comunità, catalogo della mostra fotografica d'archivio, Erve 1986.
- COLOMBO G., Santa Maria Assunta in Erve, Guida alle chiese parrocchiali di Bergamo, n. 28, Bergamo 2008, pp. 62-63
- CACCIA C., Nel canyon del Gallavesa, in "Orobie. Mensile di natura, cultura e turismo", Bergamo, aprile 2011, pp. 38 sgg.